Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In the small things

There's a wonderful sentiment that another amazing woman shares on her blog about why she blogs that I can totally relate to and that is that we do it so we can look back and see God's influence and work in our lives- not just in a general way but in the small things...

Being an adjunct instructor has encouraged me to leave a whole lot in God's hands- mostly because I don't have any other choice. I don't know what schedule or what income each quarter will bring. With budget cuts, the future always remains highly uncertain, but somehow, since I took the chance and left Saint Martin's, I feel like God has totally taken care of us.

Today I have been reflecting a bit on the "small" ways God has worked that I did not foresee. When I was originally asked to give up the level IV writing class I have loved teaching and teach a grammar and communication class instead, I was pretty disappointed.

However, after the first couple days I have realized that in spite of planning for two classes instead of one, I feel like I am able to be a more interesting, engaging instructor for those couple shorter classes which is really nice. Another bonus is that level IV this quarter is huge and I have no idea how I would have taught the class the way I normally do with one on one time with each student and spending a lot of time on everyone's essays. God was clearly watching out for me in giving me classes that don't require nearly as much grading.


Sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to and sometimes, it's a good thing.

No comments: