Monday, November 2, 2009

All Souls Day/Dia de los muertos




Today is a little somber for Juan Carlos and I as we remember some incredibly important people who are no longer with us- who seemed to be with us for much too short a time. I'd like to say a little about each of them:

My aunt Kelly-

Kelly always seemed to live far from us as I was growing up so we didn't see her very often or know her very well, but I'll never forget her smile and her warmth when we did. Maybe because it was so special an occassion, she really seemed to cherish our time together. Kelly had many struggles here on earth with eating disorders and alcoholism, but even these things did not stand in the way of her family's love for her or hers for them. Her life has taught me that love is stronger than even the deepest hurt or the choices we make- God loves us in spite of how we feel or what we do. I know God loved and loves Kelly profoundly and pray that she is at peace now, at His side.

My grandpa Ben-

I feel our time with my dear grandpa was much too short. He was always so fun to visit because he was so focused on us, playing with us, spending time with us. I remember windy days on the beach where he lived, collecting sea shells, playing in the ocean and flying kites. I remember how he let us sit on his lap and play with his face for hours... I still don't know how he got it to stay in so many different ways.... I remember wanting a piggy back ride and being told that no, grandpa's back hurt. I remember that he was going to come stay with us when he was very sick but he died too soon. Rest in peace, dear Grandpa- I miss you and love you!

Evaristo Garcia-

As has been mentioned in previous posts, Juan Carlos's father died when Juan Carlos was only four years old. Most of what both of us know about him has been through stories from cousins, aunts and uncles and Juan Carlos's mother. It's sad to lose someone you've known and loved but I also feel such a loss for never having known this man- such a short, yet important part of my husband's life. He was an entrepenuer and started his own movie theater- I understand that he was very persistent in "conquistando" Juan Carlos's mother and he was always easier on the boys than she was. Sometimes his mother scolded him for not punishing them more, so when they did something bad he promised he would go spank them but he took them to another room and gave them a hug instead- he couldn't bring himself to do it... I look forward to meeting him someday in heaven for myself and pray that he is at peace and prays for us still here on earth.

Angelica Grace Garcia Martinez-

Finally, this day reminds me most of our precious daughter, so small, yet so full of life for so many months. I really believe she was strong, as she lived several weeks into the second trimester, which is rare if there is a chromosomal problem. I had thought at times in the past that when I was pregnant again, I might not feel so sad about losing her, but every time I think of her, tears still fill my eyes. It's only easier when I don't think about it- maybe that's why Juan Carlos tends to use that strategy. I guess just like any mother that has more than one child could tell you, nothing could replace the loss of one of their children. I guess that must be how God feels and why it breaks God's heart to be rejected by even one of Her billion sons and daughters. I pray that God holds her tightly in His arms until the day when I am able to meet them both in heaven.

No comments: