Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Daughter's Name

So, until now, I have been avoiding sharing the name we've pretty much been set on for our daughter because the first couple times I shared it, I was not impressed with people's responses and I didn't want other people's opinions to start tainting our decision... but now, with just a couple months left to go, I'd really like to share our daughter's name and why we chose it... I'll trust you to be sensitive about any comments you leave...

First, I have to say that finding a name that works in Spanish and English is a little challenging- names that seem outdated to us might be "modern" for my husband's family and so forth.

Also, some of you may remember that Juan Carlos and I bought a Yukon Denali a couple years ago (which turned out to be stolen and subsequently we lost $11,000) but ever since then, it was kind of a joke that Juan Carlos would name his daughter Denali after the truck...

I had always loved the name Daniella, after my dad, and because I loved the nickname "Dani" but Juan Carlos kept bringing up "Denali" as a name he really seriously loved. We looked up the meaning: "superior woman" and then he liked it even more, so, although we did not name her after a truck or the mountain in Alaska, Juan Carlos and I compromised on "Danali" so I could still call her "Dani" for short.

I really wanted a lot of things for her middle name- I wanted there to be an association with a saint (preferably Anne, because I had done a novena to Saint Anne to pray for another child) and I wanted it to have an important meaning and be "after" someone in the family. I considered Annemarie after my mom and Carlos's mom but the meaning wasn't what I wanted... I searched and searched and then I searched by meaning. I thought this baby is an answer to our prayers so I searched for "God answered" and I found the name "Eliana." It seemed perfect.

So, needless to say, our daughter's name is Danali Eliana Garcia Martinez (or you can call her "Dani" for short like me) ; )

3 comments:

Shannon said...

What a beautiful name!

Family of 4 said...

I agree! It is beautiful! It is hard to share names before the baby comes because people always have a comment, or a problem with the initials, or what people will call them instead - but really, as their parents, we are responsible for the name, with God's promptings, and I think Dani will love her name, and anyone who doesn't like it now .... well, they will love it when they see little Dani and how precious she is!

Love the new picture on facebook. It's like you have a little basketball under your shirt ;-)

Jessica said...

That's too bad people were giving you grief about it - I think Danali Eliana is really pretty and I love that it has a whole story behind it!