Monday, February 22, 2010

What's up baby? and other highlights of Hypnobirthing

So, my mom and I have been taking a childbirth class together for the past month or so. It is 4 Saturdays from 9-1:00. (My mom is doing it with me because Juan Carlos, though he wants to be there, is unsure how he's going to feel and react to the whole thing so he didn't really want a "job", he doesn't really like classes (go figure that he's married to a teacher) and the English would probably be a little overwhelming, so my awesome Mom has stepped up to the plate and offered to learn this with me and be my "coach."

The class is a "hypnobirthing" class. Most of the women in it see midwives and are planning to give birth at home- the majority are planning water births. From what I can tell, pretty much everyone is planning on/hoping for no medication. The technique is meant to make use of the body's natural endorphins and "painkillers" and help women to "comfortably" give birth (which a lot of people have a hard time imagining). It's been really interesting. I have a lot of reflections on the class in general, but some of the highlights are:

1) The class is all about focusing on the "perfect scenario" and not dwelling on everything that could go wrong... Because of the mind-body connection, it's thought that focusing on a positive outcome will make it a lot more likely- this has been hard but SO good for me, as I have a tendency to think "worst case scenario"

2) Another important piece is training your body to relax. I feel much more aware of my body now and when I am and am not relaxed. I think it's really healthy for me to "practice" relaxing. I do it to prepare for childbirth but it is probably helping me to have a much healthier pregnancy now, especially in times that might otherwise be very stressful. There is a lot of emphasis on "trusting your body and your baby" to do what they need to do, which also translates for me into trusting God and the way that He made me and our baby with the intention of life.

3) Developing a relationship with the baby is also really emphasized. It's completely acknowledged that babies are fully human and incredibly intelligent and that regular communication with our babies can nurture the relationship and help them feel loved from early on. One of my favorite lines from the class was when the instructor was talking about this and said, "Sometimes, you just need to ask, "what's up baby?" I can't even remember what it was in reference to, but at the time, it struck me as being hilarious.

4) The other element that stands out is the vocabulary used. Instead of "contractions" we talk about "surges" Instead of "pushing" we talk about "breathing the baby down" I'm sure it seems silly to some people but language can be so powerful and this is just another reminder...

The book for the class talks a lot about the effects of culture and the effects of perception of childbirth and what it has been and should be on the actual experience for many people. It talks about the way that fear affects the actual pain people experience or difficulties in childbirth and why. Most convincing of all, though, has probably been the many films we've seen in class of actual births using the techniques we're learning and how peaceful, healthy, joyful, and incredible they have seemed...

As in any class, there are some great things and other things my mom and I have chosen to dismiss or de-emphasize. I still have not made a hard and fast decision about medication, how soon to clamp the umbilical cord, and a variety of other things, but the class has certainly changed my perspective on childbirth and I feel a lot more confident and even excited about it than I did before. If anyone is thinking of it or wants to know more, I am really happy to share.

Please keep my cousin in your prayers as I'm pretty sure she is in labor now, unless plans have changed (she was going to be induced this morning). And happy birthing to all you many pregnant moms- there certainly are a lot of babies planning to be born soon!

1 comment:

HypnobirthingMama said...

That's awesome that you and your Mom are taking the hypnobirthing course. I actually just started a blog about hypnobirthing because I had such an amazing experience when my first son was born two months ago. Everyone told me I was crazy for wanting an un-medicated birth, but using hypnobirthing really got me through it in a relaxed state, without any interventions. If you ever have any questions at all--let me know! Good luck!

Abbey
www.hypnobirthingmama.blogspot.com