Monday, August 16, 2010

It takes a village...

They say it takes a village to raise a child and I sure feel like that with Danali. My first weeks of being a mother were basically baptism by fire and though it's gotten a little easier, I rely so heavily on those around me for everything from childcare to late-night advice.

Recently, my mother and my mother in law have been sharing taking care of Dani during the week while I'm working.

And JC and I never seem to sit down at home. The other day I felt totally overwhelmed by everything I needed to do and was starting to get annoyed that Juan Carlos wasn't helping more... until I realized he WAS!! We were both going non-stop between cooking, cleaning, nursing, giving a bath, getting ready for bed, getting ready for the next day, etc.

I have to say working outside the home full time and being a mom is A LOT of work- the only time I sit and relax is when I'm nursing and I treasure that time!

But of course, it is all worth it. I just feel so fortunate to have family around to help out. At the baby showers before Dani was even born, I realized that she is coming into such a warm, caring family (on both sides) that loved her even before she was born! What an awesome blessing! I am so excited for all that she'll learn, not just from me but from her aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and friends of the family who have been so generous with us and with her.

It is sometimes hard to share my little girl after not seeing her much during the week, but I am really trying to remember that God did not just give Danali to us- He gave her to our family and to our community and I really want our blessing to bless those around us too.

It's been amazing to me how waiting an extra 5 or 10 minutes for someone to hold her or cuddle her totally brightens their day. It's so neat that just by being, a baby can have such a positive impact on those around her.

Thank you, Lord, for our precious little girls and for the village we have surrounding us and supporting us in raising our little Danali.

No comments: