Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy (late) Anniversary!


Well, Juan Carlos and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary on October 27th. We went out to dinner on Friday night (yes, Halloween). We had to get out of the house because I was too lazy to buy candy for trick-or-treaters and Juan Carlos did not want to have to hide from them, as he has done in past years...

On Saturday, we celebrated with some friends and family (mostly Juan Carlos's friends and family) though I did have a couple good friends of mine from work over and we laughed and had a good time.

Being married has been really incredible. I have gotten to know Juan Carlos so much better. It's strange to find ourselves in moments when we can finish each other's sentences and read each other's faces...we can guess how the other person will react to good news and bad, what kind of house (or truck) the other person would like. I used to hate mornings but Juan Carlos's daily songs and dances always make me laugh and put me in a good mood for the day. We laugh with (and at) each other all the time. I think often of something someone said to me at a bridal shower: "Marry someone who makes you laugh and you'll always be happy." It has rung true on many occassions in the past year.

Though, you can tell from my blog entries, it hasn't all been easy. Lately, I've said that this past year has been the most difficult year of my life.

I have spent so many years in school, so blessed to have such a "normal" healthy family, that I guess I've been sheltered from lots of life's lessons and lots of life's tragedies. However, in the midst of everything, I can see why God gave me Juan Carlos- a man who can always see the sun through the clouds, who looks beyond himself, who takes life as it comes, gives thanks to God and patiently waits for and works towards whatever lies ahead.

In my desire for a child, he reminds me that children do not make a marriage- we do. And marriage is the vocation we have been called to right now. In spite of our loss, he reminds me that I still have him and all his love. What more could I want?

Over the past year I have grown up in so many ways. I hold fewer grudges- why wait to move on? I take myself less seriously and laugh at myself more often. I am more honest with myself and others. I am more confident about handling things - from grocery shopping to crazy landlords to being victims of a crime and to losing someone dear to us. Although I wouldn't mind having less experience with some of these things in the future, I do feel like Juan Carlos and I are wiser and stronger because of it all.

I know that I had (and still have) a lot of "growing up" to do and I am eternally grateful to have such a great partner to share everything with along the way. I know we still have a lot of joys and challenges ahead of us, but this past year gives me confidence that in the face of difficulty we can find strength and love in one another and move forward.

God Bless our marriage, our family, our vocation and our love. May it be fruitful, may we strive to influence others for the better, bring laughter and joy to those around us, and live in gratitude for each day we have together.

No comments: