Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Living my own life

It's strange to be 24 and to think, for what seems like the first time, so deeply about one's own life. I feel so silly in a way that I've always been so caught up in thinking about what I want and what others have that much of my own life has passed me by in ways. There's a country song that always touches me when I hear it that talks about a man watching his daughter grow up and at different stages of life, she is always talking about the future and the chorus goes something like,

"You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days didn't go by so fast. Cause these are some good times. Take a good look around. You may not know it now. But you're gonna miss this..."

And what hits me about the song is that it says that about every stage in life- high school, living in a little apartment as newly weds, having kids... it's not like there's one point in life where "you've arrived" that gives you permission to now be happy or one stage in life you want to go back to for the rest of your life.... Maybe I'll be 30 or 40 or 85 and think back to how great it was to be 24- just starting my career, just starting my marriage, in love, young, healthy, full of energy and passion, when life seems full of possibilities and hopes and dreams and plans....

I need to let go of my tendency to compare myself to others, especially others who are where I think I want to be, pregnant and raising young children. Although I always wanted to start a family young, younger than I am now, I need to recognize that I made the choices I did for a reason. I need to pull myself away from watching everyone else's life and focus back on mine. I have my own story and I don't do it justice keeping it in the shadows of others.

Someone I knew said on her blog that she finally stopped comparing herself to others after she had a child. Maybe I thought that would happen to me too- that a child would finally liberate me from this ridiculous game I've been playing since I was a child myself and I could get on with life. But, in reality, as Carlos pointed out last night, and my mom has pointed out before, having children is just another level on which to play the "comparing" game if you don't get out of it beforehand. You can compare everything from how many hours your child sleeps to how many dirty diapers you have to change to how soon your child walks, talks, and gets potty trained and on it goes for the rest of their lives.

I never want my children to be victims of my own insecurity, so I guess that during these months that God has given me to reflect and heal, I should take a closer look at that and start learning how to live my own life.

3 comments:

Family of 4 said...

Wow! i am so glad you wrote a little message! What a treat to see a note from you. You will never guess what i have to say!! .... my mom has been emailing me a bunch of photographers websites for the wedding (July 18th - send me your address please) and one she sent me has YOUR PICTURES on it! you engagement pics and wedding pics. It was SO FUNNY! a friend of my mom's also used the same one which was where she heard of it (after a lot of searching, we are using Casey Karbowski) So anyway, i was looking at the pictures, thinking .. THAT IS JANELLE! it was cool. And i so badly wanted to know how to contact you, and God answered that. Thank you for writing me a message. I was doing a little blog stalking just now and read your recent posts ... my goodness, there is so much suffering in the lives of the people i love, I am so sorry you have to go through this tremendous sorrow, but please rejoice in knowing that no suffering is wasted - unite this to the perfect suffering of Christ, for the salvation of souls, for your marriage, for your family, for anything, but never waste a moment of suffering.... I have sorrow every day since my dad has died (only a month ago) but each day i give that to Jesus and he perfects it and uses me and my suffering.

How is life? i would love to hear how the past few years have been! Joe and i only recently started dating and became engaged soon after, but there was a lot leading up to that and i would love to share, and hear about your love story. please email! anna.colleen@gmail.com

Blessings,

Sunny Days said...

Hi Janelle! Amazing how the blog world can connect and reconnect ... I just stumbled upon yours from Anna's. So cool to hear that you are still so much into the immigration world ... that would, in fact, make two of us! Hope all is well ... take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

Janelle -

I just happened to see a great job vacancy with Sin Fronteras en DF ... if you're interested, send me your email and I will send you the info. Alanna.Ryan@gmail.com.

Cheers, A