Friday, April 17, 2009

Growing closer

I've been hearing more and more lately about couples who are married over 25 years and then separate or get divorced when the kids move out. It's hard for me to comprehend how people could go through so much together, get through the "hardest" part together and then want to go their separate ways. Unless, of course, having a family is somehow more of a distraction and being alone together is actually harder...

Today I was blessed with the opportunity to see that my time right now, without other committments, can be used to focus in a very special way on my marriage- on my husband and what he needs and what I can do to help him feel loved. Being open to growing our family at any point could take us in a lot of different directions in the future and the stronger we are in our love and support of each other now, the easier it will be to be flexible, forgiving and understanding later on, when life, hopefully, is a little busier and sometimes a little more stressful.

There is still so much "growing up" I have to do in regards to our relationship, from apologizing more quickly to approaching topics more lovingly to complaining less about things Juan Carlos does with friends or family. I hope I can make the most of this time to support Juan Carlos and help us to be stronger than ever, so that 25, 30 or as many years as we live down the line, we will grow closer through our family, rather than grow apart...

No comments: