Thursday, July 22, 2010

Some perspective

As an update to my last post, I feel so fortunate to have such wise, wonderful people in my life. Some reminders from today:

Work is work- it's a part of life but hopefully not everything. I am so fortunate as to have a very meaningful and fulfilling family life outside of work, so when I go back, regardless of what the situation is, hopefully I can leave work at work and make family the priority it should be.

Just because things happen a certain way doesn't it's fair or just or right. It just is. People get "let go" for bad reasons and sometimes people who probably shouldn't, get promoted. There are much bigger injustices in this world that people overcome and even forgive.

I can use what makes me angry to check myself. When I see a lack of positive feedback, I can check to make sure I'm giving positive feedback to those I supervise or work with. When I encounter unethical situations, I can question whether I am behaving as ethically as possible. When I'm angry at others' self interest, I can look at my own behavior and make sure it is not selfish. I can take what I don't like as a challenge to make myself better. Ultimately, if not immediately, this will make me a better, more admirable and lovable person and I'd rather lead like that than out of threats or power struggles.

My prayer for today for someone I love, "Lord, since this door has closed today, thank you. Thank you for closing this door and thank you in advance for the one you're about to open. I love you and trust you."

No comments: