Saturday, July 31, 2010

More on Immigration

Disclaimer: I know I'm touching on a controversial issue here but I feel really compelled to clear up some misunderstandings about undocumented immigration and immigrants in the United States and to give an alternative perspective to a heated issue. I really hope if you disagree, you will tell me. I would love to know what people's concerns about immigration are, so I can educate myself more and get closer to the truth. In the meantime, this is the way I see and understand things. I hope if nothing else, it helps you think about this differently than you did before.

Myth #1: Undocumented immigrants live off of welfare and handouts from the government.

First of all, this is essentially impossible, since anyone without a valid social security number doesn't qualify for welfare or for most government - funded social programs. The way some people qualify is by having citizen children- the benefits are in the name of the children whose parents have limited income, not the parents who are undocumented, but being born in the US is what made most of us citizens- questioning the validity of that would beg the question of citizenship for many others. Furthermore, many if not most undocumented immigrants pay taxes- the government provides people who don't have social security numbers with a special number just so they can pay taxes. Whether or not they pay taxes formally each year, most have federal and state income tax taken out of their paychecks just like everyone else on payroll. They pay taxes and then cannot reap the benefits of their tax money in many regards.

However, regardless of taxes and immigrant contributions, from a moral perspective, aren't we called to give to the needy whoever they may be? If someone was here undocumented in the United States and couldn't pay for food or afford a hospital bill, would God have us turn them away because they aren't a citizen? I know it's hard to think of our hard earned money going to someone else and it's tempting to justify reasons it shouldn't and we should be able to keep it- trust me, I get angry about how much taxes the government takes out too, but if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that what I have is not mine- it is more a result of blessings God has given me than anything I have "earned" or "deserve" I look at many people who risked their lives to be here, who work long hours for little pay, who have to overcome language barriers, stereotypes, and cultural differences to get ahead and I wonder if I can really even pretend I am more deserving than them of being here, working where I do, making what I do. I am so blessed- whether I share through charity or through my tax dollars, I think sharing is what God would ask of me. God probably would ask me to put others first when my needs are not met, let alone when they are.

Myth #2: Undocumented immigrants are terrorists and drug lords.

Undoubtedly some terrorists and drug lords come to the US illegally. Then again, some terrorists and drug lords are born in the US. Usually, there are deeper issues that influence people into these lifestyles- situations of desperation and fear. Perhaps we would be wiser to address issues like poverty and insecurity at their roots rather than increasing border patrol. Furthermore, most druglords have a tendency to stay in Mexico since they are more likely to be able to get out of jail if caught there than in the US. Very few of them supposedly ever come to the US. However, wherever they are is somewhat irrelevant to me in some aspects.

I have grown up with a strong faith in God, His people and the Church. But what I always learned was that God is God of the whole world, not just one country. I would think God would be just as sad to see a gang member, a terrorist or a drug lord be "kept" in Mexico as He would be to see them come into the US. It's not where they are- it's the fact that they exist that is the problem. It's strange to me to see people who talk about being pro life or Christian to justify national security efforts in the form of immigration raids and mass deportation as us "protecting" ourselves. Protecting ourselves from who? From people who long for work? Not even for dignified work in many cases- just work to meet their basic needs, pay their bills, support their families back home... I don't think terrorists and drug lords are hanging out working 10 hour days at meat packing plants and in the orchards of California. On the other hand, countless families are separated by these raids and mass deportations. Children separated from their parents, from their siblings. Don't we have a responsibility to think about them? Are people not people anymore just because they cross the border illegally?

Myth #3- If it's illegal, it's indisputably wrong.

I think all of us could think of at least one law we dont agree with- big or small- the drinking age, a speed limit, abortion, homosexual marriage, cigarettes, alcohol, you name it- there are numerous examples of times that human made laws have been morally unsound. I realize that a nation has a right to protect itself, (though I personally believe that "protection" is more effective by nurturing healthy relationships than developing nuclear weapons), but regardless, I think with the issue of immigration, we have to really examine what we are looking to protect and who we are looking to protect it from.

I can see God understanding "self defense" I can't see Him understanding our trying to protect our economy from immigrant workers because we think there won't be enough jobs for everyone (what about the loaves and the fishes), our neighborhoods from people with a different culture because we may lose life as we know it (how many times did Jesus reach out across cultures and borders and challenge us to change), or our precious tax dollars from immigrants or "the poor" because we are trying to save up for a vacation to Hawaii (there are more examples than I can count of Jesus warning us about the danger of valuing money too highly).

I write this just as much to me as to you. It is easier to protect what I view as mine- my job, my culture, my money, than to be vulnerable to what God may call me to do with these things. I want to be safe as much as anyone and would be tempted to shut out 200,000 good people to keep 1 misguided person away. But my mother told me never to do anything out of fear. And honestly, supporting immigration raids, random document checks, increased border patrol, etc. to stop or limit undocumented immigration would be a choice made out of fear, rather than out of love for the real, needy, beautiful people that come to this country to make a life.

If you're honest with yourself, why do you support the policies you support? How would God call you to look at the issue of immigration, especially undocumented immigration? How would Jesus treat the people if there were undocumented immigrants coming into His country? Did He ever act out of a fear or concern to protect Himself? Do we really have the courage to follow His example?

No comments: