Thursday, December 18, 2008

Slowing Down...

I wish I had pictures to post of the snow outside- it is the most I've seen in awhile- maybe since living in Vermont. And untouched snow really is amazing- even after living in the Northwest all my life, I always appreciate the first snow of the year. With it, though, also comes a certain concern about going out on the roads, running errands and keeping up with the normal pace of life. Yesterday, Juan Carlos and I had a special day being "stranded" at home together.

Not having to work and not willing to venture out except for much- needed groceries, JC and I spent some time sharing the internet (I look for houses and things for houses and plan our budget, he looks for roosters and trucks), watching TV, watching the snow fall and trying to stay warm... the snow really has a way of slowing people down, forcing us to do less in general.

For me, after a very busy and stressful fall semester and even busier, fuller weekends, this was a much-needed, welcome treat. I know many people were inconvenienced by the weather, had to work, got delayed or even worse, got in accidents, so that part is awful, but many other people, like me, got an excuse to stay home, make (or eat) Christmas cookies, do the laundry and spend time with loved ones (aka: try to keep Juan Carlos from getting too stir-crazy.)

With some extra time on my hands I am also left with time to think and plan, and while it's fun and comforting in ways, I am also being told that more and more houses are coming on the market, that interest rates could drop even further, that the "best" in terms of buying a house is probably yet to come...It's easier for me to work with what's "known"- to find a way to make a less than ideal house work for us, a way to push our budget, a way to get a plan in place. It's so hard to wait and yet, I know in my heart that's exactly what I need to do...just wait. We never know what's around the corner. We just have to pray and wait and have faith that we'll recognize what's right when it comes.

No comments: