Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On my mind...

Yesterday, I got home from work to find Juan Carlos on the couch with his left arm totally bandaged up. He told me he accidentally shot a nail through his hand with a nail gun at work. Something about the nail hitting something hard and coming back through his hand...yuck! The poor thing has been on vicadin and antibiotics and had to have a million shots of tetanus and I don't even know what else since he told the people he hadn't been to a doctor in over 15 years....

Now, he's mostly just really frustrated to not be able to work and have an income. He's feeling a lot of money pressure with extra unexpected bills since the brakes on my car went out and we had to get that fixed and it just seems to be one thing after another. I'm not as concerned, but feel bad not knowing how to make him feel better.

I'm getting really excited and nervous for our appointment on Thursday. It's the 19 week ultrasound and we should be able to see a lot of the baby's vital organs and possibly find out if Baby Garcia is a boy or a girl! It's so exciting, but I'm also so worried- there's so much that could potentially go wrong- sometimes I think I feel the baby kick but sometimes I don't feel it for awhile and wonder if that was really the baby, if everything is ok... I just keep praying and praying. I don't know what else to do...

I'm thinking a lot about the future and future options for me as a "working mom" A good friend of mine at work is leaving for an amazing career opportunity at Seattle U. and I feel like I will miss her desperately. Plus, another great coworker is leaving to be a stay at home mom and sub at the public schools to spend more time with her family. In talking to my friend, she mentioned teaching at the college level actually seems like it would be a pretty family-friendly job, since a lot of planning can be done from home, benefits are steady, etc. I've been thinking about if we can grow the ESL Program more and open up a full time ESL teaching position if that might be better for me. I really love administration too and it would be challenging for me to teach so many classes, but the schedule really would be so much better...

I'm also really looking forward to Christmas and to being with family. At first this Christmas, I was trying to make sure we got our tree up soon and got lights on the house, got a table runner, placemats, and started 5 new family traditions and while all of that was a nice thought, we still don't have a tree (long story), the lights we got ended up being two different colors and so we had to return one set and still don't have a full set up and the Christmas traditions just haven't been working out the way I'd hoped either. Kudos to all those families that are "on top of things" for sure, but as for us, I've decided that rather than focus on adding and adding, maybe I should focus more on simplifying. It's true that beautiful traditions can create great memories, but with Juan Carlos and my style of living, I think unstructured, free time with each other and people we love may be equally if not more enjoyable and also memorable...

Please keep us in your prayers, especially for Thursday's appointment and if you have any comments, advice, etc to share, please feel free to post.

No comments: