Sunday, March 29, 2009

Turning 25

Well, this birthday was hard for me- partly because it falls right around the time our little girl would have been born and partly because I've been struggling to accept my present circumstances and how I want so many things for myself and for Juan Carlos that just aren't our reality right now.

In spite of my disappointment and frustration, though, I do realize I have so much to be grateful for, especially my family and my husband. I'm also thankful to have work and a place to live and another year of life.

I recently took the time to write "25 random things about me" so for my 25th birthday, here's a snapshot of who I am today:

1) I have always loved horses and wanted to live on a farm.
2) Losing my baby girl was the hardest thing I have ever gone through.
3) I miss being in theatre and I want to be in a play again someday.
4) I got my certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages because I wanted to teach Juan Carlos (my husband) English.
5) I would love to have at least 4 kids.
6) If we could afford for me to be a stay at home mom in the future, I would.
7) I plan everything- I reserved a place for our wedding reception before Juan Carlos had asked me to marry him.
8) When I was little, I folded my sister up in the hide-a-bed couch.
9) I used to be so shy, I would write out a “script” for myself if I had to call the store to see what time it closed.
10) I’m passionate.
11) I can’t stand working for people who are not logical or will not communicate the reasons behind their decisions.
12) Injustice is one of the only things that makes me really angry.
13) I had to drop out of IB Spanish in high school because I was so bad at it, but later went on to major in it in college. Now, I speak Spanish at home.
14) I’ve always had a natural, pretty useless gift for diagramming sentences.
15) I really want to be in a position at work where I can make decisions, make changes and make a difference.
16) I love my sisters and my parents more than I have ever told them or could ever tell them.
17) I studied abroad in Mexico and in Chile.
18) I met my husband at a Mexican restaurant called Los Pinos de Lacey- I got laid off after only a month of working there, but it was enough time for us to meet.
19) I've always had an interest in being an immigration lawyer.
20) I am easily influenced by people I love.
21) I wish I was stronger and more confident than I am.
22) I value simplicity.
23) I am Catholic and I’ve always had a strong faith.
24) I love to laugh.
25) My graduate school and especially my classmates there had a significant influence on how I see the world.

2 comments:

Sunny Days said...

Happy Birthday, Janelle!

Meghan said...

A few days late, but - happy birthday!