Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Immigration Part II: Legality and the Law

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" Luke 20: 25

My purpose of this post is really quite simple. It is to take a closer look at "the law" what it is, why it is and why people do or don't follow it.

Most of the protest I've heard in regards to illegal immigration is that it is, in essence, illegal. People who do illegal things are criminals and do not deserve to be here.

Personally, I have always considered myself a rule-follower for the most part. I am generally a law abiding person, but I am grateful that I follow laws and rules not because they are laws and rules but because I understand why the laws are in place and why my participation in the system is important for myself and for society.

For example, there are plenty of times I probably could have stolen something. If I was only concerned with "getting caught" or only followed the rule because it was the rule, I might have. It's not that I don't steal because it's illegal. I don't steal because, in general, I don't need to and I don't believe it's right.

However, I think the important thing to remember about the law is two-fold: 1) it's manmade and it's imperfect and 2) it can change.

Let me give some examples. Many people I know strongly disagree with the legality of abortion. But it's legal. Is the law perfect? In the 19th century in the US, slavery was legal- did that make it "right" then? Or now? It used to be illegal for women to vote or work outside the home- that changed...

In Nazi Germany during WWII, it was illegal to "harbor Jews" who were trying to escape. But most today would call the people that helped them "heroes"

Immigration law is complex and difficult for me to understand, let alone find a solution to- I understand a nation has to protect its own interests to some extent, but I do think in the case of the United States, there must be more emphasis put on finding ways to match needing people to places that need their labor... legally. There needs to be more emphasis on US foreign policy and fair trade so that countries are allowed to develop their own infrastructure if they so choose, thereby curbing the necessity for people to leave their homes. Briefly, there needs to be more emphasis on the "big picture."

The problem with current enforcement efforts (immigration raids at people's homes and workplaces) is that it is punishing people who are doing productive things like working and taking care of their family and more than anything, it is the enforcement of a broken law. With an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the United States a couple years ago, something is not working.

We've tried building walls, doing raids, limiting the ability to get IDs, but it's not working. Instead of continuing to push the same antiquated policies, maybe it's time to look at the system and to ask ourselves "what isn't working here?" The draw is still too strong - the push too great to keep people where they are.

I have often thought I would rather abortion be legal and nobody want it than for it to be illegal and have women crossing state or national borders and taking part in risky procedures to do it anyway. Likewise, I would rather have open borders and no one need to come than closed borders with would-be immigrants lining up on one side and our crops dying out on the other, with no one to pick them.

Rather than quickly judge those that break the law, I challenge you to look at the law for yourself and make some judgements about what belongs to Caesar and what belongs to God. We have such a tendency to want to protect that of our country without considering as closely that of our consciences- that which matters to our brothers and sisters and ultimately, to our salvation.

Lord, please help us to discern what it is you desire of us and of our blessed country. Help us to have the courage to look critically at the law not only through the eyes of our government but through Your eyes. Help us to look at immigrants and immigration law as You see them- with compassion and in a context that illuminates the truth. Amen.

No comments: