Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Whole Serenity Prayer

Most of us know the way the serenity prayer starts:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

This in and of itself is so powerful and its relevance has permeated so many parts of my life. But the rest of the prayer is quite insightful as well... Each set of lines contains so much wisdom...

Living one day at a time
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as a pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.

By Theologian Reinhold Niebuhr

Thank you, Mom, for sending this to me! It's a great reminder of what I should be focused on.

No comments: